What is the perfect employer?
But before we jump in – what even is the ideal employer? And how would you know if you met them? It is essential to know what you are looking for first. What are your priorities in your next job? What do you value most from your employer? Is it a robust benefits package? Are you willing to start in a more minor role with opportunities to grow quickly? What are you willing to trade-off, and what are your non-negotiables?
Remember to be honest with yourself, it can be helpful to rank these priorities so that you have an internal idea of what is most important to you.
Researching Potential Employers
Once you’ve considered what is your priority for YOU and where you are headed, it’s time to research potential employers.
- It’s essential to have a baseline understanding of what the company does and its company values.
- Reaching out to any mutual contacts with whom you are comfortable having an open conversation is always a great place to start for an honest perspective.
- If you don’t know anyone at the company, looking at their social media pages and mentions and employee reviews on third-party platforms like Indeed and Glassdoor can be helpful.
However, taking these platforms with a grain of salt is essential. Sometimes, it’s the most disgruntled employees with the loudest voices and only sharing one side of the story. But what you are looking for in your research are overall trends. Ask yourself – is this company actively growing and in a strong position in the market? Are there employees who have enjoyed their journey and growth with the company
Make the Most of Your BFUTR Experience
Now that you know what you are looking for and who you might be meeting – it’s time for the fun part, getting ready to make career moves at BFUTR!
- Peep the companies attending in advance: Plan your schedule to visit the networking sessions, workshops and employer booths. Having a plan before arriving will set you up for success.
- Practice your elevator pitch beforehand: Don’t wing it. Be prepared with key points to flex your skills, work experience, and career goals.”
- Ask employers questions: Get more information by asking questions about their company culture, diversity initiatives, and growth opportunities are all great places to start.
- Plan for flex time: You’ll also want to leave some flex time in there for any pop-up conversations or extra-long connections!
- Keep the follow-up strong: Be sure to exchange contact information so that you can follow up. You can bring your business cards or connect with them on obsidi.com.
Most importantly, it is essential to be yourself! While making a great first impression can be stressful, remember that the employers are at BFUTR for a reason and are eager to meet excited, qualified talent like yourself!
As long as you know what you are looking for, research the companies attending, practice your elevator pitch and follow-up questions, have a schedule and plan for the day, and follow up with any great connections, you’ll be killing it!
If you are looking for a new job, considering a new career path, and haven’t signed up for BFUTR, what are you waiting for?! Sign up here and start your journey to the next level.