Frequently Asked Questions
Have questions? We have answers!
Obsidi Academy FAQ
I didn’t receive the Academy Assessment Invite email…what should I do?
If you did not receive your Academy Assessment Invite email, received an ineligible email notification, or other inquiry, please read below and take the appropriate action:
- Search for the Assessment Invite email: Search your junk/spam and all email folders for the following email sender address: Obsidi Academy by BPTN <DO-NOT-REPLY@criteriacorp.com>.
- Reply to the “Ineligible” email: Please respond to the email listing your current Canadian residential address, attest to your current eligibility to legally work in Canada, and that you self-identify as Black. Please know that ineligible emails were sent based on the Applicants’ submitted application and as per Applicant eligibility criteria (see: https://www.obsidi.com/obsidi-academy-frequently-asked-questions/#hfaq-post-4447). BPTN will verify the information in the email and respond within 2 business days and send assessment links to all eligible Applicants.
- If the above does not bring resolution, please send an email to email@example.com describing your Academy inquiry.
Who should take this bootcamp?
Black identified individuals currently residing in and legally eligible to work in Canada who are looking for a professional development opportunity in the field of technology or business.
What bootcamps does Obsidi Academy offer?
At launch, Obsidi Academy will offer training for full-stack developer bootcamp.
What are the eligibility requirements to join Obsidi Academy?
Obsidi Academy is strictly reserved for Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are legally authorized to work in Canada.
Do I need to have existing experience within the field?
Enrolling in Obsidi Academy requires no previous work experience in the industry or existing technical proficiency. You need a desire to learn, work hard, and crush it!
Where do I find my referral link to submit my application?
When you're logged into Obsidi, scroll down and on the right-hand side you'll see a section titled: Bring Your Community. Click the Invite Peeps button. This will make a window pop up where you can copy your referral link.
What is the duration of the training bootcamp delivered by Obsidi Academy?
The bootcamp will run for three months. Afterwards, all graduates are offered a guaranteed job placement at TD.
I understand that it's a 3 month program. Is it during fixed hours? And do I have the option of reviewing/rewatching a course at their own pace?
Yes, it is a fixed time frame. At this time, there is no option to review/rewatch as it is an immersive experience in a virtual instructor led training that is delivered/taught remotely in real time.
How many Bootcamp cohorts will run?
The initial Obsidi Academy full-stack developer bootcamp will split into three (3) cohorts:
- Estimated start date of Cohort 1: September 2022
- Estimated start date of Cohort 2: January 2023
- Estimated start date of Cohort 3: April 2023
How many participants will be enrolled into the Bootcamp?
For the first three Cohorts, the Bootcamp will enroll up to 250 participants.
What is the timeline for acceptance into Obsidi Academy?
How will I know if I have been accepted into Obsidi Academy? Successful bootcamp applicants will be contacted by our team via email. What is the expected timeline for my acceptance?
- August 1: The application closes for Cohort 1. Future dates TBD to reopen the application for Cohorts 2 & 3.
- August 10 (by EOD): Applicants (no matter the Cohort(s) availability identified on the application) will receive an email by end of day (EOD), with next steps instructions.
- This email will include a link to complete the Academy psychometric pre-assessment.
- The Academy is using a pre-assessment to decrease biases and add fairness to the Academy application process by ensuring that applicants are considered using the same, objective criteria.
- Additional information about the pre-assessment is available here: https://www.criteriacorp.com/candidates/about-the-assessments.
- August 15: The pre-assessment must be completed no later then August 15, 2022, midnight EDT.
- August 24 (by EOD): BPTN will notify successful Cohort 1 applicants by email and communicate next steps.
August 26 (by EOD):
- BPTN will notify successful Cohort 1 applicants (those who met the assessment requirements), who were not selected (due to the limited availability of Academy positions for Cohort 1), AND will extend an offer to participate in EITHER Cohort 2 (begins mid-Jan 2023) OR Cohort 3 (begins mid-April 2023).
- BPTN will notify unsuccessful applicants (those who did not meet the assessment requirements), no matter the applicant’s Cohort selection.
- Early October: BPTN will notify successful Cohort 2 and Cohort 3 applicants by email and communicate next steps
How much will I be paid if selected?
Obsidi Academy bootcamps are three (3) months of intensive training. If you're selected, you will be paid $2000 CAD/month.
Would I need to quit my full-time job while attending the Academy or perhaps closer to the end given that candidates are guaranteed a role upon completion?
An Obsidi Academy participant would not be able to maintain a full time job and attend the Academy. It requires full time participation 40 hrs per week, similar to a job, In addition, there will be assignments, projects, etc. that will require additional time commitment similar to homework.
What are the computer hardware requirements for this program?
All participants need access to a functional computer and dedicated internet access. Minimum computer specifications:
- Processor speed: 1.5ghz or higher
- Memory: 4gb or higher
- Storage: 1gb free space at least
Is technology experience required for this program?
No previous technical or software knowledge and work experience are required.
What prerequisites are required?
There are no prerequisites to joining the bootcamp. If you want to level up and learn your new skills, we’ll have you crush your goals through Obsidi Academy.
What is the pre-assessment for Obsidi Academy?
The Academy is using a pre-assessment to decrease biases and add fairness to the Academy application process by ensuring that applicants are considered using the same, objective criteria. Additional information about the pre-assessment is available here: https://www.criteriacorp.com/candidates/about-the-assessments.
Is the Obsidi Academy open to all ages as long as they are Black identifying Canadian citizens or permanent residents?
The Academy is open to Black identifying Canadian citizens or permanent residents that are age 18 and up.
How do I get my profile to 100%?
Completing your profile is easy! There are a few steps you need to take to complete your profile.
- Upload an image of yourself. Have a little fun with it, and don't forget to slay!
- Add your first and last name. Gotta make sure we're on a first-name basis, you know?
- Add your age and gender.
- Add your location. If you're looking to add some flavor to your posts, why not include your location? it's a great way to connect with other people in your area.
- Add a headline. This is what people see when they first glance into who you might be as a person.
- Add a company name, experience level, industry and area of expertise
- Add your website and main goals
- Upload your resume